Glorious summer and other musings


Here in the south of England, we've had lovely hot summer days, mixed with grey skies, rain and even a thunderstorm!  

Lazy days have been spent cycling, doing mosaic, sewing my first bunting (I had so many flags I forgot my design and ended up putting two exact same designs side by side!), baking and of course sunny days out in the countryside.

  I've learned the pleasure of growing my own flowers from seed and I've enjoyed watching them all grow, albeit in pots.  I am amazed at how tall a cosmos can grow from a tiny seed...the wonder of nature never ceases to amaze me! And I've watched bees and butterflies flit by and rest on my newly flowered plants and it's made me smile.
Such simple pleasures!

And of course summer is for indulgent afternoon teas.  It's a bit of a ritual in our home, especially Sunday afternoons.   Out comes the vintage cotton tablecloth with the crocheted lace edging, the collection of odd pieces of vintage china tea cups, silver cake forks, the silver tea set, they all come out to play when we have tea.  The cake lifter and knife come from a lovely lifestyle shop in Franschoek, South Africa, but they're not vintage.  The cake plate is by Wonki Ware long before they became famous and exported all over the world.  I love how my individual pieces have come from all different places and even countries but they all work so well when used together!












































I hope you are enjoying your summer and enjoying the simplier things in life, they are after all, what memories are made of.

Sharon
xxx





Comments

  1. Sharon, adorei as imagens, tuas produções de verão estão lindas...e aquela bicicleta azul, encantadora!
    Tenho paixão por louças, também faço coleção das que encontro em vários lugares mais as que minha mãe e avó materna deixaram.
    Amiga querida, tenha um ótimo e lindo dia.
    Sílvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvia, thank you, the bike is an old vintage 1979 Stowaway I bought on EBay for my daughter, what a find! I particularly love our vintage china which has been passed down from grandmothers and mothers, they are all the more precious! x

      Delete
  2. So very beautiful all your photos and the description of little daily joys of life. Your china is simply fantastic and all the things you are showing us around tea habitudes. Here, we don't drink tea but personally I would love to enjoy a traditional tea afternoon in the English way!
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olympia, drinking afternoon tea is a bit of an institution here in England.
      Glad you enjoyed it! x

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon....enjoy summer darling......we also do....i hope for a long long time till october....hahahaha...love Ria...x !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,
    That sounds a lovely ritual and a great way of spending a Sunday afternoon. Your cake lifter china and cake look wonderful.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, a little tea and cake and we've solved the world's problems! x

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful tea you have set out and your sliver and china are so delicate and sweet. Such luxuries are so simple yet so very enjoyable. Your banners are lovely, I love the Union Jack, it is of course seen often here in Canada. In fact it's on our Manitoba provincial flag. I shall have to make something like that, I really like the colours.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, it was really easy to make, wish I#d made on year ago. I simply cut the flags with pinking shears and then sewed the pieces together, much easier than hemming them, and it worked a treat, no frayed edges! Have a lovely week! x

      Delete
  6. Olá Sharon
    Nada melhor que a simplicidade do nosso cotidiano quando fazemos coisas que nos dão prazer. Lindas imagens!
    abraço
    Denise Kirsch - dojeitode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Denise, thanks for stopping by! x

      Delete
  7. Hi Sharon,

    Such a pretty post! I enjoyed the photo's of your tea party. What a beautiful collection of tea cups you have :-) The cake looks delicous too.

    LOVE the bunting!!!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief, I actually have too many, but my excuse is I'm collecting for my daughters, when they get married, I've got tea sets to give them! x

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful summer, Sharon...lovely photos and words! Thanks so much for stopping by my wedding post, and for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, you're so welcome, summer was excellent, the sun was out, we can't complain, now we get ready for Autumn!x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts