DIY GOLD OFFICE ACCESSORIES

As some of you might know, a while back Honeybee moved out.  Honeybee being my middle daughter, leaving a space in need of a little TLC and bucket loads of white paint.  Read the back story here. Along with planning this little room which is really tiny, and an even more minuscule budget, I started redesigning this room into something more like an office/extra guest room.  The plan was to ‘shop’ the rest of the house for items I could use in the new office and to spend less than £500!

Optimistic you might say…but I do love a challenge, and I knew if I made the right choices I could come up with a space that was stylish and didn't cost a fortune.  The first things I turned my DIY skills to were the office accessories; the letter holder, tape dispenser and the stapler.  Of course, what I really wanted was a Kate Spade stapler and dispenser, in glorious acrylic and shiny gold, but unfortunately that would chew too much of my finances.  

When you’re up against a tight budget, you have to decide what things you need to spend the money on and what you can live without…so in the meantime the Kate Spade stapler and tape dispenser got demoted…


I used MONTANA gold spray paint that I bought from AMAZON, which I've used several times and I like the colour and the even spray. I didn't have to prep any of the items because they were plastic.  I just made sure they were clean and dry before I sprayed them.  I covered the stainless steel pieces with washi tape so that the silver metal still showed on the stapler. If you can, spray the items outside in the garden on a couple of sheets of newspaper.  The spray can get everywhere but it does disappear in the air when you’re outside. I gave the can a really good shake for about 5 minutes to ensure the paint was well mixed.  I sprayed the items in short bursts, first one coat, leaving it to dry for about 20 minutes, and then I applied another coat.  I've been using them regularly for a few weeks now and I am really happy with the quality of the paint, it hasn't chipped or marked.




More on this little white space which is proving more challenging than I had imagined!

Sharon

Comments

  1. What a lovely name your daughter has Sharon! I never heard it before. Such a good idea to use gold spray. I will keep it in mind for when I need a touch of gold!

    Happy new week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief, hopefully soon I will have more to share on this little office project. Have a lovely week! Sharon x

      Delete
  2. Really special! A touch of luxury that gives this extra feeling we need sometimes.
    Warm regards
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Olympia, its not finished yet, sometimes life gets in the way of finishing up. Hope to post after pictures soon. x

      Delete
  3. Your office accessories look so stylish! I have used spray paint in the past and I have found it makes my chest feel so tight even when spraying outside than I am not going to buy anymore! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! So quick and easy Sarah and gives a good result. I think the chemicals might effect some people, sad to hear that. I've been using the spray paint for a while now and I have to say I haven't felt any tightening of the chest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts