Dry January - not what you think

I've kick started the year with a bout of bronchitis, a someone-is-standing-on-my-chest illness that renders one feverish and glassy eyed. So being laid up in bed for several days now, I've done no more than wheeze, drink copious amounts of water to hydrate and slept with a cold wet cloth on my forehead to try and get my temperature down. Between naps, I've done a fair bit of reading. On my new Kindle Paper white. I know I'm really slow when it comes to technology, but I finally get it. Laying here unable to do much at all, clothes strewn everywhere, too unwell to do any kind of tidying up, piles of dishes in the kitchen…the only thing I've been able to do is read. After finishing my 2nd book, this one book kept popping up in my recommendations;  Spark Joy by Marie Kondo I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, so I got myself a sample to see if I’d like it. I did. At £9.49 it’s no cheap kindle book.  I pressed the buy button and started reading. I'm not finished yet. In between I've had to make a cup of good old English tea, swallow some Sudafed and throw away what looks like tissue hell on my bedroom floor.

For some time now I've realised I'm a bit of a collector (well I've always known!) And before you judge me, I have a tidy home, it’s just that I don’t like throwing things away. Anything from pebbles found on my local beach to old Toast Clothing brochures, going back to 2007 – why on earth am I keeping these? But then after reading Marie’s book, I’m beginning to feel like I need to get rid of some things. I bought a gold top on sale, thinking I might wear it (says she of the sturdy flat leather boots and brogues) Anyhow, this book is changing the way I think about the things I have and how I buy ‘stuff’.  If it doesn't bring me joy, it’s got to go and I can think of several things right now that don’t do that for me.

What I've also realised is that as soon as a new décor item pops up on the radar, either in a blog I'm reading or in an email I've subscribed to, I can’t seem to say no. I am constantly buying items that I don’t need. (Does anyone else feel the lure of online shopping?) So instead of doing Dry January, like the rest of Britain, not drinking for an entire month and then on the 1st of February, lunging head first into a full sized bucket of wine (besides I'm teetotal) I've decided I’m going to do No Shop January, but instead of doing just one month, I'm really going to try and not buy a single thing for an entire three months (obviously I'm not counting food/toiletries). This is going to be EXTREMELY hard for me, but it’s a challenge I'm setting for myself to see if I have the willpower to end this continuous buying spree which threatens to take over my life and only have items in my home that Spark Joy. 

In the meantime, some photos I might or might not have posted before….because nothing cheers one up more than flowers…







 (all photos by me)

Have a good weekend
Sharon
X



Comments

  1. Beautiful flowers have a nce weekend love from me Ria x❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. I have picked up a bug from my daughter and have been feeling below par all weekend, but not quite as bade as you. I bought Marie Kondo's previous book and it did inspire me to create a emptier and tidier home. It must have been frustrating feeling bad and not being able to get on and sort things out! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long process, still coughing and energy levels not quite there yet! Our entire family have been ill since new year...this one is a particularly tough bug to get rid of! Have finished reading Spark Joy and have since started to implement some of her ideas! Sharon x

      Delete
  3. Lovely flowers and best wishes for a beautiful week, take care!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Titti, will be visiting your lovely blog shortly! Sharon x

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear you are not feeling well Sharon. I am familiar with bronchitis, so I know how you must feel. Take your rest. Hope you will feel better soon!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief, as I mentioned above to Sarah, I'm struggling to get rid of the cough and regain my energy but looking forward to Spring and flowers and warmer weather! Sharon x

      Delete
  5. Dearest Sharon, hope you feel much better now.Get as much rest as you can dear. Your photos are super gorgeous, it's always so pleasant to look at.
    Wishing you a healthy, powerful New Year and all the best to you and your family!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Olympia, always lovely to see you on my blog. I am MUCH better thanks for asking. Now popping over to your lovely blog for a visit! Sharon x

      Delete
  6. Your blog is very impressive….

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts