Summer table decor


It's hot down south... I had quite forgotten how warm summer can get here in little old England.  Now I have no excuse for not cycling along the beach front and getting a little exercise...at least there is a breeze when I cycle.  Talking of heat, my seeds I planted a few months ago have all flowered and my little courtyard garden is full of cottage flowers in pots and my roses are flourishing.  I am trying hard not to pick them!  My wild flower meadow mix was a bit of a disaster, with more weeds than anything else, so I pulled them out and scattered a few delphinium seeds and already one week later I have green shoots smiling at me!  I'm still obsessed with flowers, and I love using them to brighten up the table decor.

A few days ago it was my eldest daughter’s 26th birthday. It’s a tradition in our home that we celebrate birthdays with a family meal. This lady likes her flowers too, so I went for a mix of peonies and roses on a white tablecloth with pops of gold, because she does like a little sparkle! I bought my peonies from a local flower seller in Southsea, I haven’t seen any local supermarket selling these lovely blooms so when I saw them at the stall, I snapped up two bunches!

For me, decorating the table is one of the most enjoyable parts of giving a dinner party. Even with the few flowers I grow myself I would have enough to fill pretty vases or jars and place them all over the table. If you don’t have vases, try using tea light votives as long as they’re waterproof.  The more vases you have the better it looks.  For my centrepiece I used a crystal candelabra I bought from Bellamy’s Antiques many years ago, they always stock unusual and beautiful items.  I added gold chargers and gold and white cotton napkins from Zara Home, which I used at my Christmas Table. The silver heart name holders I bought several years ago for a valentine’s dinner, they add a touch of formality to the occasion but it was all meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek because Angelgirl loves hearts. I mixed metals but it lightened and brightened the table and kept it informal and casual looking.



















This was the last of our family birthdays for the year.  Are you planning any summer dinner parties?

                                                                               Sharon





Comments

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter Sharon! The table looks beautiful. Very elegant!

    Have a good week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief! Your garden is looking exquisite right now! x

      Delete
  2. I'm having one tomorrow night and already in a panic. Love your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be wonderful! I always prep the table in the afternoon so I have less to stress about...and thank you x

      Delete
  3. A beautiful table, I would love sitting there having a great time!
    Have a great week, take care...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Titti for such lovely words. xx

      Delete
  4. That's so beautiful Sharon, looks like some pictures we would find in magazines. I love it, and your photos are so incredibly beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina you are too kind, the photos on your blog are exceptionally good, mine are mediocre in comparison but I do try...xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts